14th Annual Filmed by Bike Film Festival
May 6 - 8, 2016
In Oregon, a bicycle is legally considered a vehicle, and the same Oregon road laws apply. Please “be seen” and practice safe riding. Vehicle traffic, farm equipment and narrow shoulders exist on many Oregon roads, and you may find that construction projects, traffic or other events may cause road conditions or signage to differ from the map results, ride descriptions and directions. For travel options plus weather and road conditions, visit tripcheck.com, call 511 (in Oregon only), 800.977.6368 or 503.588.2941. Routes listed on this website are for informational purposes and intended as a reference guide only.
Get directions on Google Maps
Portland’s 14th annual Filmed by Bike Film Festival returns to the historic Hollywood Theatre with five unique programs showcasing the world’s best independent bike movies. The jury-selected film festival runs May 6-8, 2016 and it kicks off with the New Belgium Brewing Street Party at Velo Cult Bike Shop followed by two “opening night” film screenings at the Hollywood Theatre. Each screening will show 10-15 short, exciting movies featuring love stories, glorious feats of adventure, animated shorts and more. Other programming includes an adventure-themed program, filmmaker Q&A sessions and a brewery bike tour with visiting and local filmmakers.
2016 Highlights + Background
· Filmed by Bike was founded in 2003 by Ayleen Crotty.
· 60 percent of the submissions are international and 11 percent from Portland.
· The festival features film genres including documentaries, animation, dramas and comedies from Switzerland, Czech Republic, Great Britain, Germany, Denmark, Russia, Portugal, Sweden, Slovenia, Poland, New Zealand, Australia and, of course, Portland
· Awards ceremony will honor top filmmakers with the Golden Helmet Award, presented by Travel Oregon, and the Independent Music Award, presented by Radio Room.
· The festival occurs each May in Portland, Oregon. The new Filmed by Bike Traveling Program is open for screenings in host cities. For more details, please contact email@example.com.
· Filmmaker Q&A sessions.
· Intermission Speed Raffle with over $3,000 in prizes presented by Solemates Socks.
· Brewery Bike Tour on Sunday, May 8 with visiting and local filmmakers.
New Belgium Street Party – Friday, May 6, 2016
The New Belgium Street Party opens the festival on Friday, May 6 from 5-9:30 p.m. with a party adjacent to Velo Cult Bike Shop and Tavern. The free event is all ages and features live entertainment, the New Belgium beer garden, food vendors, video confessional storytelling booth, a photo booth, parking lot games and a gigantic bike parking area.
Tickets + Information
· Showtimes and complete schedule are available online at FilmedByBike.org
· Cost: $11 per show; $55 for VIP Festival Pass that offers exclusive screenings and events, unlimited access to all screenings and a VIP-only screening, Filmmaker Brewery Bike tour and beer garden discounts.
· Screenings and events are open to all ages.
· Tickets go on sale March 1, 2016 at FilmedByBike.org or at the Hollywood Theatre box office on opening night, space allowing.
· Contact Info: FilmedByBike.org or 971-221-7228
Filmed by Bike benefits NW Documentary, a non-profit organization that helps people tell their stories through film. Sponsors include: New Belgium Brewing, Amtrak, Travel Oregon, Brompton, Yakima, Portland Design Works, Showers Pass and Radio Room