Alpenrose Track Development Class (Portland)
June 8, 2016 at 6:00 pm
In Oregon, a bicycle is legally considered a vehicle, and the same Oregon road laws apply. Please “be seen” and practice safe riding. Vehicle traffic, farm equipment and narrow shoulders exist on many Oregon roads, and you may find that construction projects, traffic or other events may cause road conditions or signage to differ from the map results, ride descriptions and directions. For travel options plus weather and road conditions, visit tripcheck.com, call 511 (in Oregon only), 800.977.6368 or 503.588.2941. Routes listed on this website are for informational purposes and intended as a reference guide only.
Get directions on Google Maps
Who: Track-curious cyclists
This class is designed for you and is your first step in making the steep banks of Alpenrose Velodrome your racing playground. You will learn how to ride a track bike, get up on the banking, and focus on the skills you’ll need to start racing at Alpenrose.
What: Track Development Class
Track classes are taught by experienced instructors who will teach the fundamentals of riding on the track, specific track skills, as well as track etiquette. Riders are grouped by ability and skill level. Mock races are held at the end of each session so individuals can practice what they’ve learned.
When: Wednesdays, 6:00 p.m.
Classes meet every Wednesday April 27-August 31 (no class June 29- come watch 6 day racing instead!). Note that class is cancelled in the event of rain.
Where: Alpenrose Velodrome
6149 SW Shattuck Road
Portland, OR 97221
How much: $10 per class
Includes bike rental. Cash or check only (checks should be payable to Portland Velodrome Committee).
• You must be able to ride a bike without training wheels.
• Track bicycles are provided. You may bring your own as long as it passes OBRA’s track bike requirements for mass starts: must be a fixed gear, have drop bars with plugs, and no brake levers.
• You must wear a helmet.
• You must sign a release form. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must be present to sign.
• Dress appropriately for riding and for the weather.
• Bring water.
• The rental bikes have platform pedals and toeclips; bring your own shoes/pedals if you prefer.
Classes are limited to 25 riders and fill up occasionally. Be sure to arrive by 5:30 to get your name on the sign up/waiver sheet.
Questions? Contact Meg Mautner
(503) 805-1361, email@example.com