Five Scenic Bikeways Event Rides for 2016
Want a chance to check out five of Oregon’s unique Scenic Bikeways – and enjoy them in the company of fellow riders, with organized support?
Local proponent groups have organized rides this spring and summer for the Grande Tour, Old West, Cascade Siskiyou, Blue Mountain Century and Cascading Rivers scenic bikeways. Oregon’s Scenic Bikeways are the most beautiful road riding in the state, and here’s a unique opportunity to try one or more out this year.
Join a small group of riders on one or more of these rides – you’ll get full support, meals, SAG wagons and even accommodations. All rides are organized by the local proponent groups, and most have a limit of 50 riders, with some exceptions. Here’s the menu of 2016 rides:
• Grande Tour, May 7-8. Be ready for about 60 miles of riding each day. The ride begins in La Grande, and your luggage will be transported to Baker City and returned to La Grande on Sunday. Get more information or register here.
• Old West, June 9-12. This three-day, 199-mile ride includes accommodations and most meals. For more information or to register, go here.
• Cascade Siskiyou, July 23. Appropriately called the Up and Down Ride, this route travels 51 miles and gains about 5,100 feet of elevation. A barbeque lunch will be served after the ride. For more information or to register, head here.
• Blue Mountain Century, Sept. 17-18. Organizers shuttle riders to Ukiah for the first day of this two-day ride. It includes a gourmet barbeque dinner served Saturday night in Heppner. Find more information and registration here.
• Cascading Rivers, Sept. 17-18. This event offers everything from the one-day, family-friendly Little Riffles Ride of 12 miles to the two-day Killer Fang Ride that traverses the entire bikeway, 72 miles each way. There are other one-day options ranging from 38 to 52 miles. For the two-day event, your luggage is transported for you, and all meals are provided. For more information and registration, go here.