Lewis and Clark Road to Beerman Creek via Necanicum Mainline
Trailhead Elevation: 5 ft
In Oregon, a bicycle is legally considered a vehicle, and the same Oregon road laws apply. Please “be seen” and practice safe riding. Vehicle traffic, farm equipment and narrow shoulders exist on many Oregon roads, and you may find that construction projects, traffic or other events may cause road conditions or signage to differ from the map results, ride descriptions and directions. For travel options plus weather and road conditions, visit tripcheck.com, call 511 (in Oregon only), 800.977.6368 or 503.588.2941. Routes listed on this website are for informational purposes and intended as a reference guide only.
This loop ride is a pleasant cruise through the forest and hills bordering Seaside on the east and offers many great views of Seaside and Tillamook Head. In season, wildflowers are abundant and occasionally deer, elk and other wildlife are encountered.
The ride climbs from sea level to the top of a 420-foot hill in about 1.5 miles on Lewis and Clark Road, at an average grade of 5% but with some short sections of 7% to 8%. The 320-foot climb from the 300 Mainline Gate to the 600-foot elevation high point on the Necanicum Crossover Road is done at a steady average grade of 4% to 5% for 1.2 miles. Inexperienced bikers may find these climbs are too strenuous for their abilities. From the high point, the ride is mostly downhill with no significant climbs.
The ride begins and ends on paved roads to the Weyerhaeuser Gate on Lewis and Clark Road and from the Beerman Creek Gate back to the Visitors Bureau. From the start of the 300 Mainline just past the Warrenton Reservoir to the Beerman Creek Gate, the ride is mostly graded gravel roads with some stretches of old pavement. This portion of the ride should only be attempted on a mountain bike equipped with sturdy tires in good condition.
- Mile 0 From the parking lot behind the Seaside Visitors Bureau, turn left on Broadway and ride to Wahanna Road.
- Mile 0.3 Turn left on Wahanna Road.
- Mile 1.5 Turn right to Lewis and Clark Road. Cross the bridge and begin climbing.
- Mile 4.1 Turn right to Lewis and Clark Mainline. Go through the gate.
- Mile 4.7 Pass the Warrenton Reservoir on the right and turn right to 300 Mainline. Go through the gate.
- Mile 5.7 Keep to the right to the Necanicum Crossover. The Necanicum Crossover becomes the Necanicum Mainline when it passes the 310 Road on the left about .3 ahead. From this point on the ride passes numerous spur roads that are tempting side trips. Most eventually dead-end in old logging areas. It is very easy to get lost, so side trips are not recommended without the aid of a map and a GPS receiver. This portion of the ride alternately goes through old, logged-off areas and splendid forest, with many open views of the coast and Seaside.
- Mile 10.6 Turn right onto Beerman Creek Road, ride .4 mile to the entrance gate, and continue to Highway 101.
- Mile 12.1 Turn right (north) on Highway 101 toward Seaside.
- Mile 13.3 Turn right to Avenue S.
- Mile 13.8 Bear left on the curve to Wahanna Road
- Mile 14.6 Turn left on Broadway to return to the Visitors Bureau.
- Mile 14.9 Enter the Visitors Bureau parking lot on the right.