Belknap Covered Bridge
In Oregon, a bicycle is legally considered a vehicle, and the same Oregon road laws apply. Please “be seen” and practice safe riding. Vehicle traffic, farm equipment and narrow shoulders exist on many Oregon roads, and you may find that construction projects, traffic or other events may cause road conditions or signage to differ from the map results, ride descriptions and directions. For travel options plus weather and road conditions, visit tripcheck.com, call 511 (in Oregon only), 800.977.6368 or 503.588.2941. Routes listed on this website are for informational purposes and intended as a reference guide only.
The Belknap Bridge, sometimes referred to as the McKenzie River Bridge, occupies a site in which a covered bridge has been in continuous use since 1890. The first bridge was replaced by Lane County in 1911. It was then replaced in 1939 and served traffic until being destroyed in the Christmas Flood of 1964. The current bridge was designed by the Oregon Bridge Corporation (OBEC), Eugene for Lane County. Louvered arch windows were added in 1975 to the south side to provide interior illumination. The name Belknap refers to early settlers along the McKenzie River. R.S. Belknap developed Belknap Springs and his son, J.H. Belknap, was involved in the toll road over the McKenzie Pass in the early 1870s. River: McKenzie River Length: 120 feet (37 m) Year Constructed: 1966 Nearest Town: Blue River Located on King Road West off McKenzie River Drive.