Fred E. Harlow House Museum
In Oregon, a bicycle is legally considered a vehicle, and the same Oregon road laws apply. Please “be seen” and practice safe riding. Vehicle traffic, farm equipment and narrow shoulders exist on many Oregon roads, and you may find that construction projects, traffic or other events may cause road conditions or signage to differ from the map results, ride descriptions and directions. For travel options plus weather and road conditions, visit tripcheck.com, call 511 (in Oregon only), 800.977.6368 or 503.588.2941. Routes listed on this website are for informational purposes and intended as a reference guide only.
This home was built in 1900 on what is known as the ”Harlow Farm” by Fred E. Harlow, son of Capt. John Harlow. Originally a sea captain from Maine, Captain Harlow was a Portland businessman who came to the Sandy River to establish a country farm. He named his place Troutdale because of the fish ponds he built near the cliff. He convinced them to establish a depot, which took the name of the farm. Fred Harlow and his family lived in the home until about 1915. The second occupants of the home were Lou Harlow, another of the captain’s sons, and his wife Laura Bullock Harlow. Both Lou and Laura were mayors of Troutdale.