In Oregon, a bicycle is legally considered a vehicle, and the same Oregon road laws apply. Please “be seen” and practice safe riding. Vehicle traffic, farm equipment and narrow shoulders exist on many Oregon roads, and you may find that construction projects, traffic or other events may cause road conditions or signage to differ from the map results, ride descriptions and directions. For travel options plus weather and road conditions, visit tripcheck.com, call 511 (in Oregon only), 800.977.6368 or 503.588.2941. Routes listed on this website are for informational purposes and intended as a reference guide only.
Amos Hyland settled on the Middle Fork of the Willamette River in 1874 and plotted the small town of Lowell. Hyland operated a ferry across the Willamette near the present site of the Lowell Covered bridge, until a bridge was first built in 1907. That bridge was replaced in 1945 after a truck accident knocked the truss out of alignment. In 1947, the structure was housed. The entire bridge was raised 6 feet in 1953 in anticipation of the flooding produced by Dexter Dam. Calculations about the height of water were correct and the water level has never risen closer than 2 feet from the bottom of the bridge. The bridge was bypassed by a concrete bridge in 1981. Prior to its closing, a dump truck traveling with its bed up caused extensive damage to the bridge. Lane County replaced broken roof braces and portal boards. A sign in Lowell City Park commemorates the covered bridge.