Monteith House Museum
In Oregon, a bicycle is legally considered a vehicle, and the same Oregon road laws apply. Please “be seen” and practice safe riding. Vehicle traffic, farm equipment and narrow shoulders exist on many Oregon roads, and you may find that construction projects, traffic or other events may cause road conditions or signage to differ from the map results, ride descriptions and directions. For travel options plus weather and road conditions, visit tripcheck.com, call 511 (in Oregon only), 800.977.6368 or 503.588.2941. Routes listed on this website are for informational purposes and intended as a reference guide only.
The Monteith House stands today as a carefully restored memorial to our pioneer ancestors and the spirit that brought them to Oregon. This structure carries the intriguing story of how one family fashioned a new city in Oregons land of milk and honey.
Brothers Walter and Thomas Monteith traveled to Oregon by ox team in 1847 over the Oregon Trail. Close to the confluence of the Calapooia and the Willamette Rivers, the Monteith brothers found a wide, open, prairie – a perfect setting for their envisioned city. For $400 they were able to purchase 320 acres of land along the Willamette River from Hiram Smead.
With the acquisition of another 320 acres of adjacent land, the brothers were able to plot out a 60 acre townsite. They named this new town after Albany, New York, the capital of the state of their birth.
These enterprising brothers began to construct a house which straddled the dividing line between their claims, fulfilling the requirement that each man sleep on his claim. This was one of the first homes in Oregon to be constructed from sawed lumber, and was the Albany areas first frame home. With the assistance of friend Samuel Althouse, the Monteith House was basically complete by 1849.
It's open during the summer months, Wed-Sat, 12-4 p.m. and at other times of the year by appointment.
For more information, see the Monteith House website or call 541-928-0911 or 800-526-2256