The Historic Union Pacific Train Depot
In Oregon, a bicycle is legally considered a vehicle, and the same Oregon road laws apply. Please “be seen” and practice safe riding. Vehicle traffic, farm equipment and narrow shoulders exist on many Oregon roads, and you may find that construction projects, traffic or other events may cause road conditions or signage to differ from the map results, ride descriptions and directions. For travel options plus weather and road conditions, visit tripcheck.com, call 511 (in Oregon only), 800.977.6368 or 503.588.2941. Routes listed on this website are for informational purposes and intended as a reference guide only.
In the fall of 1882, four people filed claims on four sections of land, four corners of which touched two blocks west of the depot. The purpose of this action was to bargain with the railroad for this location of the depot by offering up land. Ontario was born with the arrival of the railroad in 1883. Prior to that, Winnemucca Nevada, 150 miles away, was the closest railroad available for coast-to-coast passenger, livestock and freight service. In the fall of 1883, the first depot was constructed. It was a small rectangular building that provided passenger services, freight services and small living quarters. On January 1, 1884, Ontario had its first railroad service. In 1907 the present sandstone and brick building was erected. However, some minor interior remodeling has been completed over the years. The exterior of the building has remained exactly the same and is in sound condition. Since 1907, thousands of people have passed through the depot, especially during World War I and World War II. The well-developed agricultural base of the local economy can be directly attributed to the railroad and the passenger and freight depot service. Of historical significance is the fact that during the time of the First World War, this depot was the largest shipper of wool in the United States. The depot is the only and oldest building that has played a role in the early development of every aspect of our economy in Western Treasure Valley. The depot laid the foundation that is being built upon today.